Saturday, January 10, 2009

In which Dad learns about the blog

Today, on the phone, Dad told Kate S. “I suddenly went blind again.” Later, he said to me, “I can’t see you, you’re just a blur,” “That’s probably a good thing, Dad, I’m wearing a really ugly shirt.” “I wouldn’t care if you were bare-ass naked.”

Dad knows my job has changed, but he doesn’t really understand it. He says, “you’re not writing so much, anymore, right?”
“I don’t write grants any more, but I’m doing some other writing of my own, and do you know what it’s about? It’s about you,”
“Uh-oh.” Extended pause.
“That shuts me up.” Another pause.
“Am I a character? I am, I guess.”

The quotable Dad:

1) On my illness: “how long do these germs live?”

2) As I was leaving: “I’m getting pretty dotty.” “I know, Dad.” “Dotty Bray, Naughty Bray.”

3) On a phone call from Charlie: “You certainly had a long conversation with Charlie. You didn’t say anything at all.” (Charlie has a lot to say, lol).

4) On the future, “I don’t think I’m going to live more than another 10 or 15 years.” He's 85!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment