Sunday, February 15, 2009

feb. 15 2009

Dad is fingering a few dollar bills that are lying on the counter. Kate S. says “that’s the money for the delivery guy.” Dad says “Oh, I was about to throw it out. I thought it was paper.”

Holding a cookie in his hand, he asks “If I bite into this what happens?” Brianna answers, “ You eat the cookie.” He’s still hesitating “Nothing runs out?” He must be remembering the jelly donut fiasco.

Kate S. is heading out to do an errand. She asks, “Addison, do you have any cash?” He responds “ I have a cat, she’s over there somewhere.”

I’m making a terrine recipe that calls for amaretto. Kate goes to the liquor store and comes back with a huge bottle that will take us a lifetime to use –it was the only one they had. I give it to Dad so he can “look” at it with his fingers. “What is it?” “Amaretto.” He looks blank, so I explain “Alcohol.” “Alcohol must be very heavy, “ he says. “I think it’s the glass bottle, Dad.”

We’re getting ready for dinner and Dad’s thinking out loud, “should I wash my hands?” he wonders. “No, I washed them last week,” he answers himself. “Last week!” we all shout. “I mean last hour, an hour ago, “ he says.

As I’m setting dinner on the table: “I don’t know what we’ll do without you, Kate, if you disappear” “ I don’t plan on disappearing,” I say reassuringly. “Nobody does,” he says.

No comments:

Post a Comment